This is what this phase feels like…..
In my spare time (around projects and the job I am supposed to be doing), I am gathering all the things.
- The tools and applications we have lying around the shop – both stuff we currently use and stuff that may prove useful later
- Requirements and stories from 7 years at this organization
- Outside stories from my peers I may find useful (otherwise known as “best practices”)
- Old project notes
- Organizational processes we need to work within
- For service delivery – we use ITIL to organize ourselves
- For project management – we use PMBOK
- Contracts processes
- Procurement processes
- Intake processes
- Document it even if you think you won’t need it. Chances are, it will pop up later when you actually threaten to do something.
- Stakeholders – including how supportive they are and how much they can hurt you.
- This, you might want to keep very separate from the other documentation.
- Organizational and environmental drivers
- Any sacred cows – you DEFINITELY want to identify these. A lot of resistance will pop up from here.
Below is a 3 minute video containing a brief demonstration of how we are starting to organize stuff.
We’re using SharePoint.