Final stats – 646 views and 50 books pre-sold.
I’m thrilled! This is the first time I’ve ever done anything like this and had to slog through a lot of personal fear and resistance to make it here. Even more exciting – I have companions on the journey who will help with the experiments!
As Steve Howard so graciously put it:
Now we own part of your soul and will haunt you ’till you publish 🙂
Even with 3 people, my thinking is – that’s 3 people that are expecting me to make this happen. The pre-orders tell me that there is a potential market.
An advantage to starting small is that I am able to continue building marketing skills in a safe and friendly, and environment. Considering that I (obviously) have no discernable natural talent in marketing, having very tolerant early adopters who provide constructive feedback on my efforts is critical if I am going to succeed.
Thank you to everyone who pre-ordered the book.
- Pre-order campaigns are an opportunity to collect accountability partners, along with the more surface benefit of seeing whether there is a market for your book.
- If I’m going to be scripted and showing my face in my videos – I need a better setup.
- I now understand why there is a market for consultants who do nothing but Facebook Ads. I’m pretty good at figuring out new applications, but between being a beginner at marketing (and the related metrics) and the Facebook Ads interface(s) being written by teams that don’t seem to be communicating with each other – just…wow.
- This attempt at metaphor turned out to be a bit of a reach
. .On the bright side – when I posted this to Instagram, I got some DMs from horse people. That’s an audience I wasn’t expecting. I legitimately know very little about horses and won’t be owning one anytime soon.
I wound up not using the promotional video beyond Instagram.
- I spoke at a Toastmasters District Speak-a-Thon on this topic mid-October. The 6-minute speech was well-received. I will be delivering the same speech at Toastmasters Old Town in mid-November and intend to film it.
Experiments performed this month:
- I Experiment – Toastmasters / Joining a club / Education
- I Experiment – Writing a Book / Launching a major personal project
- I Experiment – Health / Addiction
- We Experiment / 1-1 Facilitation – Blog to Business (Video 1) (Video 2)
- We Experiment / 1-1 Facilitation – Website and Portfolio Development (no video available)
Lessons learned from experiments:
- The differentiation between It and We needs to be very clear. We – the relationship and where I can influence (not control). It – how it impacts the other. I cannot influence or control.
- Provide more guidance around who needs to be considered in the It and
Wespaces. Don’t just ask the client to list who may be impacted. In one of the experiments, the client discounted the impact of their change on a party that would be strongly impacted because the client is the dominant person in the relationship. The client’s actions have a powerful influence on the other party’s life. In my experience, these are exactly the people who are most likely to derail attempts at change.
- Appreciative inquiry around the resources an individual has available to make the change happen proved to be incredibly powerful for both clients.
The Transformation – Research Project
This project has been tabled until I get a complete draft of Change Planning out the door.
Upon reflection, this is a positive change to the roadmap. I will be better able to provide tools to assist with the transformation.
Tabling this project also encourages me to focus. I know that research for this project can easily distract me from the work I need to do (writing the Change Planning book).
Many of my colleagues at graduate school didn’t finish (ABD – or All But Dissertation) because they fell into the “just one more source” trap. Reading and collecting information is more fun than writing and making sense of information.
I don’t want to go there.
- Set up the experiments for following the model (It). I will be sending these experiments to the pre-order customers in the next few weeks. I intend to get this done at the end of November.
- Continue the We (1-1) experiments with other clients.
- Begin development of We (1-Group) experiments. These experiments will likely start in 2019. The book is more focused on the personal, individual space.
- I have collected and organized all of my previous work on this topic – much of which will be making an appearance in the final book.
- Writing starts in earnest NOW. (N
ote-to-self: researching, outlining and organizing do NOT equal writing. At this stage, these are forms of resistance.)
Thank you for your support and encouragement.
Without you all – there is no way I would be doing any of this.