Now that I have a rough idea of what processes I need to document, it’s time for me to start mapping out the individual process. The act of doing this will help me break this down further.
Working within a training team, I figured it was best to start with us.
This will also help provide a point of discussion when I talk to other teams.
Allow me to see how our process differs from theirs and why.
The first process I am documenting is our Registration process for students.
Eventually, I will do all of the processes, but I wanted to start with something that was pretty well-defined and possessed common agreement among all of the participants of this process (ie our team).
Choosing something “easy” allows me to
- Make sure I am using a visualization that makes sense to everyone
- Reduces the risk of me setting off alarms around what I am doing (remember – “Planning” can be perceived as threatening. Here Be Monsters.)
- Shows progress quickly to others.
- Gives me a quick “discussion point” for the other stakeholders.
- Gets me comfortable with the process of building and validating these flowcharts.
- Provides more bandwidth to experiment with the architecture program itself vs arguing over the accuracy of the individual flowchart (at least….that’s the hope)
Since I am in very early days, I still have templates and systems to develop around this effort.
I’ve got a mess of processes to document.
- Have I figured out a process to develop these flowcharts quickly and accurately so I can focus on the accuracy of the information vs. playing with Visio / PowerPoint / Archimate / other flowcharting tool?
- Do other people understand what I am trying to communicate? Stakeholders? Executives?
- Does this fit in with the Architecture team’s standards? (Remember, this is going to help them too…)
- Is this easy to edit and share once I am done with it?
- How many other people do I want to give edit permissions to these workflows to?
- How I am going to organize this information? Can other people find it?
So before documenting – I asked the Architecture team the following questions:
- Is there a particular tool you want me to use?
- Their answer – no.
- I’m using Visio for this effort, but you can also use PowerPoint, Word, or drawing stuff out on paper and taking a picture with your cell phone.
- Actually…drawing stuff out on paper or using sticky notes and a wall isn’t a bad way to start.
- Is there a particular modeling technique you want this in?
- Their answer – “Well, Archimate would be nice”
My solution – just getting it down first. I have a lot to learn about Archimate and will use this particular flowchart to start learning it.