To help us decide what to tackle first, we took a look at the potential business benefits of improved communications.
- Reduced “Time to Market”
- Reduced response time to clients and each other
- Consistent messaging across the division
- Increased awareness of our services
The next question we asked – what activities would help us achieve these benefits?
Our brainstorms went all over the place.
Everything was written down.
We then measured those ideas against whether that idea would get us closer to those business benefits.
Ultimately, we wound up focusing on Business Writing for our first cycle.
1) Business writing feels more “tangible”. Since our audience is mostly made up of engineers and technical folks – we felt that it would be easier for them to see progress.
2) We felt (right or wrong) that business writing allowed for a level of “detachment” in this early going that “verbal” and “non-verbal” communication wouldn’t. Changing “behavior” can be a charged subject – especially when the person isn’t necessarily doing anything “wrong”. Writing, at least, has a visible product. Our engineers like having something to show for their efforts.
3) We also felt that a focus on business writing would move us more quickly towards the benefits of consistent messaging and increased awareness.
4) Finally, the hope was to take some of the pressure off of our communications specialist – who has been doing the job of 2 people for too long.
In the next post – I’ll talk about what we actually did….