– Video by Tim O’Hara. This park was overtaken by lava on July 12, 2018
As I’ve watched this drama evolve, I’ve been impressed by how everyone involved is trying to work with the environment instead of trying to control it. I’ve also been impressed by how everyone is working very hard to understand the perspective of the other team members and stakeholders.
A few observations on this event as I watch it from the safety of my home half a world away:
- They are dealing with a complicated, ever-changing, potentially life-threatening scenario.
- The team has established a clear set of priorities (safety, then residents, then everything else).
- They possess (and listen to) a strong, respected elder.
- They carefully defined roles and demonstrate mutual respect for the people in them.
THIS is what collaboration and teamwork should look like.
- Working with, the environment you find yourself in. What you are dealing with is likely not nearly as life-threatening or destructive, but the complications and the pace of change are likely similar.
- Clear priorities.
- Strong, respected leadership.
- Carefully defined roles.
- Mutual respect between the team members and between the team and the stakeholders.
The best place to watch what is happening is Big Island Video News on YouTube.